Urology Center of Columbus in Columbus, GA has instituted a “Kidney Stone Fast Track” program. For a person with kidney stones, it is one of the worst pains anyone can have and every second, minute and hour counts until the pain is relieved.
When you have a kidney stone that needs to be seen urgently, call Urology Center of Columbus and request the Kidney Stone Fast Tract. Urology Center of Columbus is offering same day treatment for patients who are in need of relief from kidney stone pain. The patient will be seen, evaluated and a plan for disposition made.
Kidney stones affect about 2 of every 1000 Americans each year. About half of people who experience kidney stones will have repeat episodes unless they seek treatment. Your doctor can do a simple urine and blood test to help you make lifestyle changes to help prevent recurrences. Kidney stones are crystal-like masses that form in the kidney. The formation of stones depends on chemicals present in your urine. If you do not drink enough water, your urine will have more concentrated levels of the chemicals that form stones. Drinking water is essential to preventing the chemicals from clumping together and forming a stone. There are several types of stones each of which may have more than one cause. Diet, fluid intake, metabolic disorders and heredity can all influence stone formation. The main symptoms of stone presence are abdominal and/or back pain and blood in the urine.
The symptoms you might notice include:
- Severe pain in the back, side, abdomen, and groin (depending on the stones location)
- You may also experience nausea and vomiting
- Urinary frequency
- Burning sensation when urinating
- History and physical exam
- Urine and blood tests
- Ultrasound and/or CT scan (to confirm presence of the kidney stone)
Not all kidney stones require treatment. Stones that do not cause symptoms and are not at risk for damaging the urinary tract may pass on their own. In fact, 80% of kidney stones will pass through the tract when you urinate. If a stone is too large to pass, the following treatments are available:
- Lithotripsy: the break up of kidney stones using shock waves. No surgery or incision is required.
- Ureteroscopy: placing a scope into the urethra, the bladder, and up into the ureter, to remove the kidney stone.
- Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy (PCNL): placing a scope directly into through the skin, in your back, into the kidney to remove the kidney stone. (Used for very large kidney stones).
- The most important thing you can do to prevent future kidney stones is to drink lots of water. You want to produce 2 liters of urine a day.
- Smoking cessation
- Reduce caffeine intake
- Daily exercise program
- A kidney stone metabolic work up can help your doctor determine the reason your body is prone to producing kidney stones. Through this workup, he may be able to give you dietary suggestions or daily medications to prevent future kidney stones.
Urology Center of Columbus strives to provide you with the best urological care. Our team has a vast experience in their scope of work and are proud to serve you in Columbus, GA.